Thursday, July 10, 2003

To travel or not to travel?

New job day one looms ever closer - less that two weeks till I stop bumming around and start earning money. I wanted to put the pound sign in there but this keyboard only has $s.

These being the last few days of freedom, thought I might explore the oft-feted online travel marketplace to see if I could snap me up a deal. I was pretty flexible about where and when to travel, just keen for a cheap and cheerful flight to somewhere new. But it was not to be. What I discovered is that you can waste hours (days, if you have the patience) looking for this holy grail, and still be no closer to a wee holiday. Despite that panopoly of sites offering travel services, few are comprehensive, and you end up having to trawl through budget airlines as well. The most useful site I found was the Scottish Flight Guide, which at least tells you who flies from where to where.

Then I thought I might take a trip to Stornoway, but to fly or take a car on the ferry is more expensive than travelling to Europe, and any other way takes a whole day, involving at least 3 modes of transport. It all seems a bit complicated. And inertia-inducing.

So looks like I'll be staying home, discovering Auld Reekie and her environs instead. It's not a bad prospect, actually (if you manage to avoid the hoardes of tourists). I'll let you know what I discover...

No comments: